Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Home Cold Remedies

Ah, tis the season for sniffling, sneezing, aching, stuffy head and fevers!  Cold and flu season is in full swing and I have been miserable for the last six days.  I have tried just about every home remedy you can think of with little success save one.

Ginger root tea!  I had completely forgotten about this old recipe as I have been lucky enough to escape getting sick the last couple of years, but last week when I came down with this yuck and started looking for help for my sore throat online, I remembered this tea.  It's VERY easy to make.  Simply buy a hunk of ginger root at the grocery store.  Very inexpensive.  Slice it very thinly and boil in about 4 quarts of water.  When it's reduced by about 1/3, take a cup and dose liberally with honey.  Heaven on a sore throat.

Ginger root tea has also been associated with help in digestion, relieving motion sickness, and also has anti inflammatory properties as well.  It has a lemony peppery taste and is very soothing when you are sick.  Some people swear by this shortening the length of their illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment