Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dance Competition Season

Whether you are a fan of the show Dance Moms on Lifetime or not, it is definitely dance competition season in the real world.   While there are competitions all year round, most dance studios start classes in the fall and go to 1-4 competitions in the spring.  My daughter's first one is this coming weekend and I am so excited.

Life as a real dance mom isn't quite as glamorous, or as drama filled, as it is on tv.  We aren't nearly as catty, nor is our life as scripted as theirs.  Nor do we have that much money!  While dance is an expensive hobby, many dancers work at the studio helping out with younger girls' classes to help pay their tuition bills.  Having your child work to pay for their own sport/hobby/whatever is always a good idea.   My daughter has learned to appreciate what she has all the more since she is vested in it.  

Our studio usually does three competitions a year, but this year, my daughter will be in a fourth competition at nationals in California.  It's her first trip anywhere with out me and although it makes me really nervous, I am very excited for her to go on this grand adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment